Tips: How to submit a competitive application
1. Personal Statement:
- Be sure to start your statement in advance.
- Get your statement revised by peers and professors.
- Reach out to the Office of Leadership, Service, and Career to get your statement revised.
- Make sure to answer all the questions in the prompt
- Contact the Office of Leadership, Service and Career to get your Resume revised.
3. Writing Sample:
- Be sure to submit a writing sample that truly reflects your abilities as a writer and as a researcher.
- Submit a paper that you’re proud of from a class that you enjoy
- Example: Five-page paper from a Political Science course or a 2-page paper from one course and a 3-page paper from another course.
4. (2) Letters of Recommendation:
- Begin to think about the people that understand your abilities as a student and as a young professional.
- Contact your desired Letter of Recommendation authors by email or in person (ex. Office hours)
- Remind them what of the course they taught you and what your accomplishments were during your time as their student.
- Describe what the letter of recommendation is needed for (ex. UCDC Program) and what you will gain from the experience.
- Make sure to provide your resume
5. Interview Preparation
- As part of the application process, students are invited to participate in an interview to discuss their interest in UCDC.
- Practice and prepare for the interview process.
- Contact the Office of Leadership, Service and Career for Interview resources and tips.